- 1 What is the standard requirement of the operating theatre?
- 2 What is the temperature of OT?
- 3 What is OT protocol?
- 4 Why it is important to maintain the precautions in operation Theatre?
- 5 How many zones are there in operation theatre?
- 6 How do you make an operation theatre?
- 7 What is HEPA filter in operation Theatre?
- 8 Why is it called an operation Theatre?
- 9 What is Operation Theatre technique?
- 10 How do you fumigate an OT?
- 11 What is OT sterilization?
- 12 What is scrubbing in surgery?
- 13 What are the 3 categories of surgical instruments?
- 14 How is infection controlled in operation Theatre?
What is the standard requirement of the operating theatre?
A standard size of 55 m2 is recommended for all in-patient operating theatres. Observation of the position of the surgical team and equipment suggests that the theatre should be approximately square. Currently, theatres for minimally invasive surgery are at most 55 m2.
What is the temperature of OT?
Temperature and Humidity: The temperature should be maintained at 210C ± 30C inside the OT at all times with corresponding relative humidity between 20 to 60%. Appropriate devices to monitor and display these conditions inside the OT may be installed.
What is OT protocol?
OR Protocols Operating room protocol is a collection of principles that must be followed by the staff present in the operating room to ensure safety of the patient and the staff. The new residents, medical students and nurses must understand these principles before entering the operating room.
Why it is important to maintain the precautions in operation Theatre?
A protective and clean atmosphere in the operation theatre can ensure in maintaining vital functions, prevent dangerous secondary infections and thereby promote healing without any complications.
How many zones are there in operation theatre?
OT should be divided into four zones named protective, clean, aseptic and disposal zones. Proper ventilation, air circulation, temperature, maintenance of sterile environment in operation theatres plays key role in prevention of such infections.
How do you make an operation theatre?
OT to be washed/scrubbed before use and surfaces carbolized. A drop of Beta-dine to be put in conjunctiva before starting the surgery. The patient should avoid dust, smoke and sunlight. The patient should wear protective dark glasses outdoors.
What is HEPA filter in operation Theatre?
For orthopaedic and other implant surgery, laminar-flow systems are used with high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters where particles >/=0.3 microm are removed. The use of ultra-clean air has been shown to reduce infection rates significantly in orthopaedic implant surgery.
Why is it called an operation Theatre?
The medical student and interested people were allowed to be present and witness the procedure as it was carried out. This gallery resembled like the theater and the purpose being operation, gave rise to the term correctly as ‘Operation Theater. ‘
What is Operation Theatre technique?
Operating Theatre Techniques describes the principles and techniques of operating theater nursing that correlate with different teaching programs and varied practices. The subject is treated from a nurse’s view of the theater situation and of the job she has to perform.
How do you fumigate an OT?
- Wear a gown, cap, mask and utility gloves.
- Clean blood spills, remove waste, clean and disinfect items used in surgery.
- Inspect all surfaces in the OT in detail for visible soiling/dust.
- Wipe and clean all equipment completely i.e. wipe the entire OT table, OT lights, trolleys, anaesthesia machine.
What is OT sterilization?
Sterilization is carried out most commonly using steam sterilizers or ethylene dioxide sterilizers. The waste generated during practice is a potential source of nosocomial infections and should be treated as per the proper protocol and guidelines. Trained staff to carry out these practices is essential.
What is scrubbing in surgery?
As a verb, to wash the hands and forearms very thoroughly, as before engaging in surgery. To scrub implies the use of a brush (and often an implement to clean under the nails).
What are the 3 categories of surgical instruments?
Types of Surgical Instruments
- Cutting instruments include scissors, surgical blades, knives and scalpels.
- Grasping or holding instruments include hemostatic forceps and tissue forceps.
How is infection controlled in operation Theatre?
Surgical drapes block the transfer of microorganisms from the patient’s skin in surgical procedures. Impermeable materials control infection, while effective fluid control allows for a drier working area. The most effective drapes have fewer parts and are easy to use – to reduce the risk of contamination.