- 1 What was the very first musical?
- 2 How did musicals start?
- 3 When was the first musical Theatre performance?
- 4 What’s the longest running Broadway musical?
- 5 Who were two of the most famous musical theater composers?
- 6 Why is musical Theatre so popular?
- 7 Who had the first music video?
- 8 Where did musical Theatre come from?
- 9 What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
- 10 What is the greatest Broadway musical of all time?
- 11 What’s the longest-running West End musical?
What was the very first musical?
The first theater piece that conforms to the modern conception of a musical is generally considered to be The Black Crook, which premiered in New York on September 12, 1866. The production was a staggering five-and-a-half hours long, but despite its length, it ran for a record-breaking 474 performances.
How did musicals start?
Musicals began in England in the late 19th century by combining the comic stories of operetta (short operas) with the songs and dances of the music hall.
When was the first musical Theatre performance?
The first original theatre piece in English that conforms to the modern conception of a musical, adding dance and original music that helped to tell the story, is generally considered The Black Crook, which premiered in New York on September 12, 1866.
What’s the longest running Broadway musical?
The Phantom of the Opera The longest-running show in Broadway history officially opened on January 26, 1988 and is still playing at the Majestic The Andrew Lloyd Webber musical won 7 1988 Tony Awards® including Best Musical.
Who were two of the most famous musical theater composers?
We’ve compiled our top 10 list of musical theatre composers in a handy list:
- Stephen Sondheim. This American lyricist and composer has a career spanning more than 50 decades.
- George Gershwin.
- Jeanine Tesori.
- Oscar Hammerstein II.
- Leonard Bernstein.
- Irving Berlin.
- Alan Menken.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Why is musical Theatre so popular?
As for why musicals are so popular, Friedman said, “ It’s a fun entertainment,” and, “People want to be entertained.” He said musicals have happy endings and offer escapism adding, “Fantasy is part of it.”
Who had the first music video?
The first music video as we know it today, was Tony Bennett’s “Stranger in Paradise”(1953) (cannot find it online). They were promotional little films designed to highlight the new talking pictures, but they have the form of a music video: they are built around the performance of a single song.
Where did musical Theatre come from?
Early antecedents. The antecedents of musical theatre in Europe can be traced back to the theatre of ancient Greece, where music and dance were included in stage comedies and tragedies during the 5th century BCE.
What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
Musical theatre is a form of theatrical performance that combines songs, spoken dialogue, acting and dance.
What is the greatest Broadway musical of all time?
Top Ten Best Broadway Shows Ever Made
- Hamilton. The story of the man on the ten dollar bill has been Broadway’s number one smash hit since its release.
- The Producers.
- The Phantom of the Opera.
- The Book of Mormon.
- Les Miserables.
- West Side Story.
- Kinky Boots.
What’s the longest-running West End musical?
Les Misérables With some of the most recognisable songs in musical theatre, the classic story of Jean Valjean and revolutionary France is the longest-running musical in the history of the West End.